Securing a Future for Loita Forest Through Improved Management
The Loita Forest Project is about securing a future for the Loita Forest through enhanced Forest governance.
It is about stakeholders coming together to define limits in the use of the Forest and Forest based resources
A sustainably managed Loita forest with functional cultural and participatory approaches in place, equitably providing the community with environmental goods and services.
The project sought to:
- Develop a common vision that reconciles stakeholder interests through the development of a Forest Management Plan
- Enhance the regulatory environment by facilitating participatory development of forest regulation and outreach
- Strengthen the enforcement mechanism.
- Promote the local communities ownership and access rights to the forest through advocacy and lobbying
Data in Numbers
- Men and women understand forest management: 1177
- Forest Scouts employed: 12
- Leaders trained: 96
- People in visioning workshop: 24
- People who have learned from other forest projects: 35